Just came across an excellent article by Scott Lucas, Executive Director of Interbrand. Here is the excerpt.
1. Understand the difference between consumers and shoppers.
2. Avoid a one-size-fits-all approach to package design research.
3. Incorporate the consumer voice into package design.
4. Realize that brand purchase decisions are far more instinctive than rational.
5. Leverage the in-home experience.
An effective package design has staying power; it provides an opportunity to build consumer loyalty and make the register ring again and again. Consider the facial tissue category. It has evolved from consumers choosing the least offensive pattern regardless of brand to consumers seeking out specific designs and colors to match their décor. The product is establishing brand loyalty directly through package design.
Read the rest of this article at Popsop.